1kg tomato (tamatar) diced small
11/2″ piece ginger (adrak)
2 garlic (lasan) clove
25 gms lemon juice
1tblsp non-fat yogurt
oil (tel) as per requirement
550 gms cauliflower (phool gobi) florets
1 tsp cumin seed (jeera)
12 potatoes (aloo) cut in 1/2″ dice
50 gms vinegar (sirka)
250 gms big size onion (pyaj) halved, cut thin
100 gms cilantro (dhania) leaves
salt (namak) and red chillies (lal mirch) to taste
2 green onions (pyaj)
1/2 tsp basil (tulsi) leaves
1/2 tsp turmeric (haldi)
How to make aloo gobi masala:
- Boil diced potatoes and cauliflower florets in water with salt, cayenne, turmeric and 1 tbs canola oil.
- Take off cauliflower florets as they will be done before the potatoes.
- The vegetables should be cooked but firm.
- Grind ginger and garlic.
- If fresh ginger is not available, use 1/2 tsp ginger powder.
- Finely cut the cilantro, green onion and jalapeÂ¤o.
- Mix slice onion with basil, binegar and olive oil.
- Marinate 10-15 minutes.
- In a small wok on medium heat, mix in 1 tbs canola oil.
- When hot, mix in the cumin seeds.
- Fry until light brown.
- Mix in the onions.
- Stir fry until opaque.
- Mix in ginger and garlic.
- Saute for a few minutes.
- Mix in the potatoes, cauliflower and the diced tomato.
- If the vegetables stick to the pan, mix in a little yogurt to keep it moist.
- Simmer (boil slowly at low temperature) until vegetables are done.
- Sprinkle with cut cilantro, lemon juice and slice tomato before serving.