GOBHI KASTOORI RECIPE
1 medium cauliflower (phool gobi)
1 cup yoghurt (dahi)
1 tsp salt (namak)
1/2 tsp red chilli (lal mirch) powder
2 seeds choti elaichi
sabut garam masala:
1 black cardamom
2-3 clove (lavang)
1 inch stick cinnamon (tuj/dalchini)
1 bay leaf (tej patta)
a pinch mace (javitri)
3 tblsp desi ghee or oil (tel)
2 chopped Onion (Pyaj)
1 inch piece chopped ginger (adrak)
2 green chillies, cut length wise into half and de-seeded
1/4 tsp coriander powder (dhania powder)
1/4 tsp red chilli (lal mirch) powder
3 chopped tomato (tamatar)
1 tblsp dried fenugreek leaves (methi)
2 tblsp fresh coriander chopped
How to make gobhi kastoori:
- Break the cauliflower into medium-sized florets along with a little stalk. Wash well. Drain out the water well.
- Beat curd in a bowl. Add salt, red chilli powder and choti elaichai powder.
- Add cauliflower to the curd. Mix well and keep aside to marinate.
- Heat the ghee in a handi. Reduce flame and add together all the ingredients given under sabut garam masala. Stir for a minute.
- Add onions and cook till they turn golden brown. Add ginger and green chillies. Mix well for half a minute.
- Add coriander, red chilli powder and turmeric. Stir.
- Add tomatoes and cook till the masala leaves the ghee.
- Now remove the cauliflower pieces from the curd and keep aside.
- Add the curd gradually to the masala and cook till the masala turns a little dry.
- Now add the cauliflower pieces and cook for 5-7 minutes.
- Then cover and cook on a low flame till the vegetable is just done. Now sprinkle some water on the lid in between, putting in it the vegetables after some seconds, if the gobhi sticks to the bottom. Do not over cook the cauliflower.