Chickpeas 1 cup
Coriander and cumin powder 2 tbsp
Chilli powder 2 tbsp
Mango powder 1 tbsp
Garam masala 1 tbsp
Soda bi-carb 1/2 tsp
Black pepper powder 1/2 tsp
Ghee 3 tsp
Salt to taste
Slices of tomatoes and ginger, chopped coriander
a few whole green chillies for decoration
How to make punjabi chole:
- Chop the onions.
- Soak the chickpeas for at least 6 hours.
- Add 1/2 teaspoon of soda bi-carb and cook in a pressure cooker.
- Cut the potatoes and tomatoes into big pieces.
- Heat the ghee in a vessel and fry the potatoes until soft.
- Remove the potatoes, in the same ghee, add the onions and cook for a little time
- Add the cumin-coriander and chilli powders and fry again.
- Add the boiled chickpeas and salt.
- After 5 minutes, add the garam masala, mango and black pepper powders and cook for 2 minutes.
- Add the potatoes and tomatoes and cook for 2 minutes.
- Decorate with coriander, chillies and slices of tomatoes and ginger.
- Serve hot with bhaturas or puris.