2 cups Lobia (black eyed kidney beans )
2 cups grated onions (pyaz)
1 tsp ginger (adrak) paste
1 tsp garlic (lahsun) paste
2 tsp garam masala
1 bay leaf (tej patta)
1 tbsp cumin seeds (jeera)
2 cups grated tomatoes (tamatar)
1 tbsp salt (namak)
1/2 tsp turmeric (haldi)
2 tbsp powdered coriander seeds (sokha dhania)
1 tsp chilli powder (lal mirch)
2-3 green chillies (hari mirch)
1/2 cup oil (tel)
2 tbsp chopped coriander leaves for garnish (hara dhania)
- Wash and soak the black beans in about 5 cups of water and keep it overnight.
- Next day boil the beans and cook them till they become tender.
- Strain and separate the liquid and the beans. Keep the liquid for further use.
- In a pan heat the oil and add cumin seeds and the bay leaf.
- When the seeds begin to pop add the chopped onions and ginger garlic paste.
- Saute this mixture till the oil begin to separate.
- Now add the minced tomatoes and saute till fat separates.
- Now add the salt , turmeric, coriander and chilli powder.
- Mix well.
- Now add the boiled beans and the green chillies.
- Also add the liquid which was kept separately.
- Bring the beans to a boil and then simmer till the gravy is of desired consistency.