1 cup Split Green Gram (Moong Dal)
3 cups chopped Spinach Leaves (Palak)
A pinch of Turmeric Powder (Haldi)
1 tsp Red Chilly Powder (Lal Mirchi)
1 tsp Asafoetida (Hing)
2 tblsp Butter
1 tsp chopped Ginger (Adrak)
1 tsp chopped Garlic (Lasun)
A pinch of Sodium bi Carbonate
1 tblsp Cream
- Wash and soak the gram for 30 minutes.
- Boil some water in a pan.
- Add the spinach leaves and the sodium bi carbonate and cook the leaves for a minute over a high flame till the leaves are cooked.
- Drain the leaves and when cool grind in a blender.
- Remove and keep aside.
- Cook the dal ,turmeric powder, chilly powder and the salt in a pressure cooker.
- When the dal is cooked remove from the flame and keep aside.
- Make sure the dal is dissolved in the water, if the water was not sufficient add some more water and cook the dal again in a pan.
- Transfer the dal to a pan and add the spinach paste.
- Mix thoroughly.
- Cook over a low flame for 2 minutes.
- Remove from the flame and keep aside.
- Melt the butter in a pan.
- Add the garlic and fry for till the garlic turns light brown in colour.
- Add the ginger and the asafoetida and fry for a few seconds over a low flame.
- Add the dal and mix thoroughly.
- Remove from the flame and serve hot garnished with cream.