1/2 cup Basmati Raw Rice (Chawal)
5 cup Milk (Doodh)
1 cup Sugar (Cheeni)
2 tblsp Khoa
1 tblsp Raisins (Kishmish)
10 Cashewnut (Kaju)
5 crushed Cardamoms
1 tblsp Ghee
A pinch of Saffron (Kesar), soaked in lukewarm milk
- Boil the rice with 2 cups of the milk in a sauteuse.
- Cook till done.
- Add the remaining milk, khoa,saffron and sugar and cook the mixture over a medium flame till it is thick.
- Stir continuously.
- Remove from the flame and keep aside.
- Heat the ghee in a pan and fry the cashew nuts till it is golden brown.
- Remove the nuts and add the raisins in the same pan and fry the raisins till it puffs up.
- Add the nuts and the raisins to the payasam.
- Sprinkle the cardamoms on top and mix thoroughly.
- Serve hot or cold.
- Note: There is the possibility of the mixture becoming thick when served cold. In such a situation add a little luke warm milk to dilute the mixture.