Milk 6 cups
Lemon juice 1 tsp
Sugar 2 cups
Refined flour 1 cup
Cardamom seeds 1 tsp
How to make Rosogullas:
- Boil one cup milk. Add lemon juice till the milk curdles. Sieve through a fine cloth and preserve the whey for 4 days.
- On the 5th day, boil 5 cups milk. Cool and remove the thick cream layer from the top.
- Heat again and add as much reserved whey as is needed to curdle the milk. Sieve through a piece of muslin and keep under a weight to remove all water.
- Measure the curdled mixture and add 2 tsps flour for each 500 gms. Knead well.
- Add 2 cups water to the sugar and boil. Remove top scum.
- As the syrup is simmering, make small balls of the curdled mixture and push 2 grains of cardamom in the centre of each. Drop the balls in the boiling syrup.
- Cover after 2 minutes, remove cover and sprinkle syrup with ice-cold water. Repeat this process of covering, exposing and sprinkling with ice water covering, 6 times.
- The rosogullas will float on the top. Remove from fire. Cool and chill.