Brinjal masala rice can be served with any gravy based dish. It is prepared by adding rice to the baigan that has been spiced with mustard seeds and other regular spices and then mixing them together.
3 cups plain rice (cooked with 1 tsp of unsalted butter)
3 tsp veg. oil
few curry leaves
1/2 tsp mustard seeds
a pinch of asafoetida
Salt to Taste
3 cups eggplant (brinjals) (cut into 1 inch stripes)
1 1/2 tsp. red chilly powder
1 tsp. corriander powder
1/2 tsp. turmeric powder
1 level tsp. cumin seed powder
3 to 5 tsp. pulliyodarai mix powder
- Cut brinjals(eggplant) into strips wash, drain and keep aside.
- Pour oil in a kadai or a non-stick skillet, when hot add the mustard seeds, curry leaves, salt and asafotedia.
- When the mustard seeds start cracking add the brinjal pieces (eggplant) and fry till they are half cooked.
- When half cooked add the chilly powder, corriander powder, turmeric powder, cumin seed powder and continue to fry on low flame.
- When almost done add the pulliyodorai mix, fry for a minute, then add the cooked rice and stir gently till all the grains are coated. Serve hot.