Here is a delightful recipe of brinjal rice or baigan bath. Brinjal rice is made by adding fried brinjals to the already spiced rice.
500 gm basmati rice
300 gm brinjals
1″ piece ginger
2-3 pieces tej patta
3-4 green chillies
4-5 cloves garlic
1/2 cup tomato pulp
1 tbsp cardamom and cloves
1/4 cup fresh grated coconut
1/2 cup oil
1/4 cup green coriander leaves
For powdered masala :
1/2 tsp black pepper powder
1 tsp roasted cumin seed powder
2 tsp coriander powder
1 tsp red chilli powder
1 tsp cardamom and lavang powder
For wet masala :
5 cloves of garlic, ginger, grated
coconut and cariander leaves (ground).
- Soak rice in water for 10 minutes.Wash the brinjals and cut into long pieces.
- Apply salt and keep aside.Heat oil in a pan fry brinjal pieces.
- Again heat oil in a heavy bottomed pan.
- Add onions, chopped garlic, lavang, cardamom, green chillies and bay leaves.Stir.
- Add ground masala paste, powdered masala and tomato pulp and salt to taste.
- Now add rice and mix well. Add 5 cups of water to the rice and bring it to a boil.
- Add a little lime juice and cover the pan.
- After 8-10 minutes of cooking add fried brinjal pieces and cook for another 5-7 minutes. Serve hot.