Cabbage kootu is the cabbage stew prepared from cabbage, french beans, drumsticks, imli and flavoured with hing.
1 cup tur or toor dal
200 grams cabbage (bund gobhi)
50 grams French beans (flasbean)
1 ripe tomato (tamatar)
1 tsp thick tamarind (imli) juice
1 tsp sugar (cheeni)
1 tsp chilly powder (lal mirch)
1/2 tsp asafetida (hing)
1/2 tsp split black gram dal
1/2 tsp mustard seeds (rai)
1 tblsp dhaniya seeds (corainder seed)
6 pepper seeds (kali mirch saboot)
a small piece coconut (nariyal)
salt to taste
- Wash and chop all the vegetables into small pieces.
- Boil the chopped vegetables in a pan.
- In a separate boil the dal with some water.
- When both, vegetables and the dal are well cooked mix them together and add the chilly powder, salt, hing (asafetida), sugar and tamarind juice.
- Heat the oil in a pan and add the black gram dal and mustard seed (rai). When they sputter add them to the dal and vegetable mixture.
- In a blender grind the coconut, dhaniya seeds and the pepper.
- Now add this mixture to the dal vegetable mixture.
- Cook on low flame for 5 minutes and serve hot.