Cabbage thoran is the kerala cabbage stir fry. This kerala cabbage thoran is made from potatoes, grated coconut and flavored with curry leaves and mustard seeds.
1/3 cup oil (tel)
2 medium size potatoes (aloo) peeled and cut in 1 cm cubes
2 tsp mustard seeds (rai)
1 tsp urad dal
10 fresh curry leaves
1 onion (pyaz) finely sliced
2 whole green chillies (hari mirch) halved lengthwise
1 tsp turmeric (haldi)
1 pound cabbage (patta gobhi) finely shredded
1 3/4 ounces fresh grated coconut (nariyal)
salt and pepper as per taste
2 – 3 fried green chillies for garnish
- Take some part of the oil for frying the potatoes in a frying pan.
- Add the cubed potatoes and fry them till they are golden on all side.Drain the potatoes on a paper napkin to drain the excess oil.
- Now add the remaining oil to the pan in which potatoes were fried and add the mustard seeds and when they begin to sputter add the urad dal and curry leaves
- and cook for 1 -2 minutes or till the dal turns golden.
- Now add the onions and chillies and cook for 5 -6 minutes.
- Add the turmeric powder, cabbage, salt and pepper. Stir and mix them thoroughly.
- Cover the pan with a lid and cook for 10 – 15 minutes or until the cabbage gets little soft.
- Now add the fird potatoes and half of the grated coconut.
- Transfer the cooked vegetable in a dish and sprinkle the remaining coconut and garnish with green fried chillies.