Cabbage With Onions Recipe
Cabbage with onions is a very delicious recipe. Pyaz patta gobi ki sabzi is made from cabbage, onions, fenugreek, tomatoes and some spices.
1 medium size cabbage (patta gobhi)
2 1/2 medium size onions (pyaz)
9 tblsps oil (tel)
few fenugreek seeds (methi dana)
1/2 tsp cumin seeds (jeera)
1/2 tsp mustard seeds (rai)
1/2 tsp fennel seeds (saunf)
2 cloves garlic (lahsun), minced
1 inch by 1 1/2 a piece of ginger (adrak), chopped
1 medium tomato (tamatar)
1/2 tsp turmeric (haldi)
1 green chily (hari mirch), thinly sliced
3/4 tsp salt (namak)
1 tsp garam masala
1 tblsp lemon juice
How to make Cabbage With Onions:
- Cut the cabbage (patta gobhi) into thin long strips.
- Peel 2 onions and chop them lengthwise. Chop the remaining half coarsely.
- Heat 6 tablspoon of oil in a pan and then add the cumin seeds, mustard seeds, fennel seeds and the fenugreek.
- When the seeds sputter add the onions chopped lengthwise.
- Keep stiring the onions for 1-2 minutes.
- Now add the shredded cabbage, stir in properly and put the lid on the pan and let the cabbage cook for 15 - 20 minutes on low flame stirring occassionally.
- In the mean while, make a paste of the chopped onion, ginger, garlic, and tomato in a blender.
- Take the remaining oil in another pan and add the paste, turmeric, chilly and keep frying stirring all the while for 5 - 6 minutes.
- If the mixture starts to stick to the bottom of the pan then sprinkle 1 teaspoon of water occasionally.
- When this mixture is ready add the cooked cabbage, salt, garam masala and lemon juice and let it cook for 5 minutes.
- Serve hot with roti or parantha.