Carrot Kheer or carrot payasam is easy to make and very popular in the south India. Grated carrots is simmered on slow flame with milk and when thick enough it is garnished with almonds and cashewnuts.
250 gms carrots
600 ml milk
60 ml sugar
30 gms almonds or cashewnuts
30 ml cream
1/2 tsp saffron
1 tsp water
- Grate carrots. Add a little water and place it in a pan over the fire.
- Cover the vessel and cook over slow fire till the carrots are half cooked.Add milk, sugar and ground and blanched almonds to the carrots. Cook gently stirring throughout.
- Mix saffron in a dessertspoon of warm water and make a paste.
- When the carrots are cooked and the mixture has thickened, add saffron and remove from fire.
- Allow it to cool in a refrigerator and when cool, stir in the cream and garnish with silver paper and almonds and cashewnuts.