Here is a curry recipe which can be used as a basic curry and the chicken or the shrimps can be replaced with the vegetables of your choice. And this curry can be prepared quickly and hence the name curry in a hurry.
2 tbs. cooking oil
1 medium onion finely chopped
1 clove garlic finely chopped
1 tbs. of fresh finely chopped coriander stems (optional)
2 tsp. curry powder
2 tsp. curry paste
2 tbs. fine grated coconut or cream of coconut
2 tbs. creamy peanut butter
2 tbs. chick pea flour
8 oz. (one can) tomato paste
2 hot green peppers (optional)
4 cups water
1 tsp. salt
2 lb. beef or lamb stew or
8 pieces of chicken or 1 lb. large shrimps.
2 potatoes cut into bite size pieces (optional)
1/2 cup frozen green peas (optional)
- Saute onion in oil in a 4 to 6 quart pan or dutch oven till transparent.
- Add garlic, curry powder, curry paste, chick pea flour, coconut, chopped celentro, and peanut butter in rapid succession and cook on reduced heat stirring continuously to prevent sticking on bottom and scalding.
- Cook for 3 to 5 minutes and then add hot peppers and tomato paste and cook for 2 to 3 minutes more.
- Add salt and 2 cups of water still stirring and increase heat so that water comes to a boil and makes a thick sauce.
- Add remaining water and stir into smooth consistency.
- Now reduce heat and add meat or chicken and potatoes.
- If using shrimp allow curry to cook for about l5 minutes more and then add shrimp and cook for 10 minutes more or till meat is done.
- Add peas during last 5 minutes. Serve over with rice .