Dal makhani Punjabi is made by cooking soaked gram and kidney with ginger, onion and tomato and frying it with cumin seeds and adding curd and cream.
1 cup whole black gram
1 tbsp gram dal
1 tbsp kidney beans
4 green chillies
1/2 cup fresh cream
1/2 cup curds
1/2 tsp chilli powder
1/2 tsp turmeric powder
1 tsp cumin seeds
2 tbsp ghee
Salt to taste
How to make Dal Makhani:
- Soak the gram dal and kidney beans for 5 hours.
- Chop the green chillies, ginger, onion and tomato.
- Pressure-cook the black gram, gram dal and kidney beans in 2 cups of water.
- Mash very well with a big spoon and boil again for 20 mins.
- Add the curds and cream to the cooked dal.
- Heat the ghee in a vessel and fry the onion, chillies, ginger and cumin seeds for 2 minutes.
- Add the tomato, turmeric powder and chilli powder. Fry again for 2 minutes.
- Add the dal and salt and cook for a few minutes.
- Serve the Dal Makhani hot.