A simple Dum aloo recipe for ambrosial dish with potatoes and spices. Learn how to make dum aloo.
8 to 10 baby potatoes
1 big onion
2 flakes garlic
small piece ginger
4 to 5 cloves
6 to 7 almonds or cashewnut
1 flake cardomom
1 medium piece cinnamon
1 to 2 strands red chillies
3 tsp butter or ghee
3 tblsp oil
salt and chilli powder to your taste
1 tblsp thick curd (yogurt)
1 tsp garam masala powder
1/2 tsp cumin powder
1/2 tsp coriander powder
chopped coriander leaves
chopped cheese to garnish
- Take a kadai or a deep frying pan and pour 3 tbsp of oil in it.
- Scrap the skin off baby potatoes and put them in it.
- Add salt and chilli powder to it. Cover it 3/4 with a lid.
- Fry it in medium heat till it is cooked and golden brown. Keep it aside.
- Pour 2 tsp Butter or Ghee into a pan. Cut the onion and fry it.
- Put the red chillies, garlic flakes and ginger to it.
- Fry till light brown.
- Grind the fried things with almonds or cashewnuts, cloves, cardomom, cinnamon and yogurt (curd).
- Make it into a paste.
- Pour the remaining 1 tsp of butter or ghee.
- In low flame, add cumin powder, coriander powder and garam masala powder to it and stir it for 1 minute.
- Then add the ground paste and salt to your taste to it and stir for 5 minutes in medium flame.
- Pour 1 small cup water to it and cook it.
- If the gravy is so watery add 1/2 tsp of rice flour to 1/4 glass of water and add to the gravy.
- This will ticken the gravy.
- Add the fried potatoes in the end.
- Decorate with chopped coriander leaves and chopped cheese.
- Serve hot with plain rice, parathas or pulav.