Learn how to make handi dal. Handi is a traditional utensil used for cooking various curries and daals.
1 cup mah ki dal (Whole Urad Dal)
1/2 cup chana dal
Water for cooking dals
1 tblsp ghee
2 whole red chilies
10 cloves of garlic, chopped
1 large onion, chopped
1 inch piece of ginger, grated
2 ripe tomatoes, chopped
1 green chili, chopped
1/4 tsp asafetida
1 tsp red chili powder
1 tsp garam masala powder
1/2 tsp turmeric powder
Salt to taste
1 tblsp fresh cream
- Heat the ghee in a handi and add the whole red chilies and ginger garlic.
- Now add the onions and green chilies.
- Saute till onion becomes pink in color and then add the tomatoes and all the spices.
- Keep stirring till the tomatoes are cooked and then add the pulses.
- Mix well and add water and salt.
- Cover and cook on low flame till the dal is very well done.
- Finally beat in the fresh cream and serve hot garnished with coriander in a smaller handi.