Hyderabadi fish curry is quite popular in the south of India. Hyderabadi fish curry is made with curd, saffron milk and garnished with green cardamom.
1 tsp garam masala
1/2 tsp kalaunji dana (onion seeds)
4 tblsp ghee
Salt to taste 1 kg fish, cleaned and cut into pieces
1 c curd
10-15 strands of saffron, soaked in milk
To be made into a paste
2 large onions
1 inch piece of ginger
10 cloves of garlic
1 green chili
To be ground together separately:
3-4 dry whole red chilies, soaked in water
1/2 tsp black pepper corn (sabut kali mirch)
2 tsp coriander seeds (sabut dhania)
1/2 tsp cumin seeds (jeera)
2 tsp poppy seeds, soaked in water
- First mix sprinkle some salt and turmeric powder over the fish pieces and deep fry them in the ghee.
- Now in the same pan, first add the ground powder of whole red chilies, poppy seeds and other spices and stir fry for about two minutes
- Now add the onion paste to this and saute well for 5-10 minutes.
- Slowly beat in the curd and mix well.
- You should keep stirring till the curry starts boiling and then add the fish pieces.
- Let the curry thicken and add the saffron milk.
- Sprinkle with freshly ground green cardamom powder and serve the Hyderabadi fish curry hot with rice