Masala daal with coconut is made by cooking boiled dal with a paste of spices and then adding fried hind, mustard and curry leaves. Learn how to make this special dal with real Indian taste.
1 cup toor dhal or moong daal
For The Masala (to be ground to a fine paste)
1/2 cup grated fresh coconut
2 small onions
1/2 tsp khus-khus (poppy seeds)
1/2 tsp jeera
2 or 3 cloves
1tsp coriander seeds
4 dry red chilly
1 tbsp ghee
a few sprigs of curry leaves or kadpatha
a pinch of hing
1/4tsp turmeric powder
1 tblsp lemon juice
1 tblsp coriander leaves
salt to taste
water enough quantity for cooking.
How to make Masala Daal:
- Wash and cook the dhal with enough water,turmeric and a little salt.
- Grind the ingredients for the masala to a fine paste and keep aside.
- When the dhal is 3/4th cooked, add the masala paste, 1cup water and boil till dhal is fully cooked stirring in between.
- Add salt to taste.
- Heat ghee, season with mustard, hing and curry leaves and pour it on the dhal.
- Add the lime juice and garnish with chopped coriander leaves.
- Serve hot with rotis/chappatis or rice.