Here is a simple recipe for masala dal. It is called masala dal because of the tadka that is used with this dal. It is spicy and served in dhabas.
1/2 cup dhuli moong dal
1/2 cup tuwar dal
1/2 cup kali mah kid al
1/2 cup masoor dal
4 cup water
2 tsp ginger garlic paste
4-5 whole red chilies
1 green chili chopped
2 tomatoes chopped
1/2 tsp red chili powder
1 tsp coriander powder
1 tsp garam masala powder
1/2 tsp turmeric powder
Salt to taste
2 tblsp ghee
1/2 tsp asafedita powder
1 tsp cumin seeds
Chopped coriander for garnishing
How to make Masala Dal:
- Wash and soak the dals for ten minutes and there after pressure cook them with the water till they are well cooked
- Now heat ghee in a wok
- Add the asafetida powder, whole red chilies and cumin seeds.
- Now add the chopped green chilies and the ginger garlic paste.
- Add the chopped onions and saute till they are pink in color.
- Now add the tomatoes and let them get cooked
- You should now add all the ground spices and salt and saute till the mixture is well cooked and leaves ghee.
- Now put in the cooked dal and mix well.
- Garnish with coriander and serve the masala dal with phulkas.