Savor this creamy Indian matar paneer made of peas and cottage cheese. Mutter (Muttar) paneer features regularly in north indian menu.
Paneer – 250 g (cut into cubes)
Green peas – 1 cup
Tomatoes – 4
Onions – 2
Garlic – 3 cloves
Ginger – 1 inch piece
Brown cardamom – 1
Cloves – 2
Khus khus – 1 tsp (optional)
Fresh cream – 1/4 cup
Coriander powder – 1 tsp
Red chilli powder – 1 tsp
Garam masala – ? tsp
Salt – to taste
Cooking oil – 4 tbsp
- Deep fry the paneer cubes in oil till light golden brown and keep aside.
- Grind the onions, tomatoes, ginger, cloves, garlic, khus khus (if required) and the cardamom seeds to make a puree.
- Heat the cooking oil, add the onion-tomato paste and cook till it is thick and dry.
- Add the cream, red chilli powder and coriander powder.
- Add the peas, salt and enough water.
- Cook covered until the peas are done.
- Add the fried paneer cubes and garam masala.
- Cook on very low heat for two minutes till the paneer gets soft.
- You may garnish with coriander leaves.
- The Mutter Paneer is now ready to serve with Indian Breads and Rice Dishes.