Discover how to make mushroom poriyal. It is prepared by sauting garlic and onions and then adding the spices and the mushrooms.
1 lb mushrooms (Deep fried Brinjal slices can be used instead on very special occassions, like Weddings etc).
2-3 tbsp olive oil or veg. oil
6 chopped garlic flakes
1 medium onion (cut into fine half circles)
1/4 tsp turmeric powder
1/2 tsp chilli powder
2 peeled and chopped medium tomatoes
black pepper to taste
coriander leaves (cilantro) – to garnish
3/4 tsp salt
Sugar to taste
1 tsp mustard seeds
1 tsp urad dhal
1/2 tsp aniseed
2 inch cinnamon sticks
4 dry red chillies
a pinch of asafetida
- Cook Mushrooms with a little salt in their own steam. They will produce excess water. Drain it off and save it.
- Heat olive oil and fry seasoning ingredients; fry garlic and onion to a light brown colour.
- Add turmeric and chilli powder, stir and add tomatoes, salt and sugar, cook until it is very dry.
- Add the cooked mushrooms and stir fry to mix. Add mushroom water if you like some juice on the vegetable.
- Add coriander leaves and black pepper. It is finished!