A very tangy recipe for prawn pickle. Learn how to make Indian jhinga archar with prawns, tamarind and spices.
250 gm shelled and deveined prawns
1 tsp tamarid concentrate or handful of tamarind soaked in hot water
1 large onion, finely sliced
1/2 tsp turmeric powder
2 tbsp chopped coriander leaves
1 tsp dhansak masala
6 cloves of garlic
5 red chillies, whole
1 tsp cumin seeds
3 tbsp oil or ghee
1 tbsp jaggery
salt to taste
- Squeeze the tamarind to extract juice, if using fresh tamarind. Otherwise, use tamarind extract.
- grind cumin seeds, red chillies and garlic, into a paste.
- heat oil in a pan. Add sliced onion.
- fry till golden brown.
- add the prepared chilli paste, turmeric powder, dhansak masala. Mix well.
- add the parawns and cook with 1/4 cup of water for 2 minutes. Add the tamarind juice and jaggery. Cook for another 2 minutes.
- garnish with chopped coriander leaves.
- served best with steamed rice and mori dal.