An everyday meal in the north Indian households, this potato curry has all the necessary spices and tastes extremely well.
500 g small potatoes
1/4 tsp asafetida powder
1 tsp cumin seeds(jeera) 1/2 tsp turmeric powder(haldi)
1 tsp red chili powder(lal mirch)
2 tsp dry coriander poder(dhania powder)
1 tsp garam masala
Salt to taste
2 tblsp oil
2 large onions
2 medium size tomatoes
5 cloves of garlic
1 inch piece of ginger.
- First make a paste of onions, garlic and ginger in a grinder.
- Heat oil in a deep wok and add this paste.
- Fry till it becomes golden in color.
- Grind the tomatoes and add to this paste of onion.
- Fry till it is thoroughly mixed and simmer the heat
- Now add in all the spices and mix well.
- Keep stiring and cook till you can see oil being separated from the paste.
- Make sure that it does not stick to the bottom.
- Now peel and chop the potatoes in large pieces.
- Add water to the paste in the wok to form a curry and put in the potatoes.
- Cover the pan and cook for 15 minutes or till the potatoes are tender.
- Keep checking in between to see whether the curry is sufficient and is not getting stuck to the bottom of the pan.
- Once done, garnish with fresh coriander leaves and serve hot with chapattis.