Make simple and easy tuvar dal by cooking it with tomatoes, onion and seasoning it with fried mustard seeds and asafoetida. Learn how to make tuvar dal.
3 medium size tomatoes
4 green chilies
1/2 medium size sliced onion
1 cup toor dhal (yellow split peas)
a pinch of turmeric powder
1 tsp mustard
1 tsp urad dhal
a pinch of asafoetida
1 tsp gram dhal
a bunch of cilantro
2 tsp tamarind liquid
2 tsp vegetable oil
salt to taste
How to make Tuvar Dal:
- Slice the tomatoes, green chilies and onion into pieces.
- Boil them with little water.
- When vegetables are cooked, add cooked toor dhal along with turmeric powder and blend well.
- Add tamarind liquid with salt. Mash the dhal to reach a gravy form.
- Cook until raw smell goes off (that is for 2 minutes).
- In a non-stick skillet heat the oil add mustard seeds, urad dhal, gram dhal and asafoetida. Season the mashed dhal with this.
- Garnish it with chopped cilantro. Serve hot with plain rice.