Learn how to make this magnificent Indian whole urad dal by cooking boiled rajma, ural dal and gram dal with spices and a blend of other ingredients. Try this whole urad dal with red kidney beans recipe.
1 teacup whole urad dal
1 tblsp gram dal
1 tblsp rajma
25 mm (1″) piece ginger
4 green chillies
1/2 teacup fresh cream
1/2 teacup curds
1/2 tsp chilli powder
1/2 tsp turmeric powder
1 tsp cumin seeds
2 tblsp ghee
salt to taste
How to make Whole Urad Dal:
- Soak the gram dal and rajma for 5 hours.
- Chop the green chillies, ginger, onion and tomato.
- Put the urad dal, gram dal and rajma in a vessel, add 2 teacups of water and cook in a pressure cooker.
- Mash very well with a big spoon and boil again for 20 minutes.
- Add the curds and cream to the cooked dal.
- Heat the ghee in a vessel and fry the onion, chillies, ginger and cumin seeds for 2 minutes.
- Add the tomato, turmeric powder and chilli powder. Fry again for 2 minutes.
- Add the dal and salt and cook for a few minutes.