KAJU KHUMB MAKHANA RECIPE
15-20 pieces cashew nuts
200 gms mushrooms (goochi)
3/4 cup makhana
1/2 cups cumin seed (jeera)
2 nos. chopped Onion (Pyaj)
1 tsp ginger (adrak) paste
1/2 tsp garlic (lasan) paste
1/2 tsp black pepper (kali mirch) corns
1/3 cup yoghurt (Dahi)
1 tsp coriander powder (dhania powder)
3/4 degi mirch
1 1/4 tsp salt (namak)
1/4 turmeric (haldi) powder
3 tblsp ready-made tomato (tamatar) puree
silver leaf to garnish
dum ka masala:
1 powdered green cardamom (chhoti elaichi)
1 powdered black cardamom (moti elaichi)
1/4 tsp mace (javitri) powder
How to make kaju khumb makhana:
- In lukewarm water, soak cashew nuts for 1/2 hours.
- Slice the base of the stalk of mushrooms and wash to remove dirt. Boil 3-4 cups water with 2 tsp of lemon juice. Soak mushrooms in it for 5-7 minutes.
- Heat 4 tblsp oil in a kadhai. Now add makhanas and shallow fry over medium heat for a minute or till they turn golden.
- Drain and reserve in a pan full of water until ready to cook. Now heat the leftover oil and reduce the heat. Then ad the cumin seeds and stir for 1/2 minute.
- Add onions and cook till transparent. Now add ginger and garlic paste and cook till the onions the onions are light golden. Add black pepper and stir for a few seconds.
- Add the whole mushrooms and stir fry for 5-7 minutes. Now add the yoghurt and cook till the ghee separates.
- Then add the coriander powder, degi mirch, salt and turmeric and stir for a minute.
- Add the tomato puree and stir-fry for 3-4 minutes. Then add 1 cup of water and boil.
- Now drain the soaked makhanas and mushrooms. Add to the mushrooms. Then cover and simmer, stirring occasionally for 5-7 minutes, till the right consistency of the gravy is attained.