1 onion, finely sliced
250 gms ghee
1 tsp ground ginger (adrak)
1 tsp chilli powder
2 tsp ground coriander
2 tblsp plain yoghurt
3 cups (500gms) rice (chawal)
8 cloves (lavang)
1 stick cinnamon (dalchini)
How to make Keema Pilau:
- Saute onion in the ghee until golden.
- Add the mince, ginger, chilli and coriander.
- Saute until mince is browned, add yoghurt and fry until rice brown.
- Soak the saffron in 1 tblsp water and add to the mince.
- Combine rice, cloves and cinnamon in a large pan.
- Add enough water to come 6cm above the level of the rice.
- Bring to the boil, cover and simmer until the water has almost evaporated and the rice nearly cooked.
- Remove from the heat.
- In a 2 liter heat-proof dish, arrange in a layer of rice then a layer of mince and so on until all the mince and rice are used up.
- The last layer must be rice.
- Cover, bake in a slow oven for 20 minutes until the rice is cooked.
- Before serving, mix the pilau very carefully so as not to break the rice grains.