1 kg minced lamb
1 onion, finely chopped
3 cloves (lavang) garlic, crushed
1 tblsp oil (tel)
1 onion, thinly sliced
2 tomatoes, peeled and roughly chopped
2 tsp grated fresh ginger (adrak)
1 tsp ground turmeric (haldi)
1 tsp ground cumin
2 tsp ground coriander
1/4 tsp freshly ground black pepper (kali mirch)
1 tsp chilli powder, or to taste
2 tblsp white vinegar (sirka)
2 cups (500ml) water
3 tblsp plain yoghurt
3/4 cup (180 ml) coconut (narial) milk
1/2 cup shelled peas
- Combine lamb, chopped onion, garlic and eggs and roll into walnut-sized balls or ‘koftas.
- Heat oil in a frying pan, sauté sliced onion until tender. Add tomatoes and ginger, sauté until liquid evaporates.
- Add turmeric, cumin, coriander, cinnamon, pepper and chilli. Sauté.
- Add vinegar and water, bring to the boil. Gently drop the koftas into the curry, cover and simmer 20 minutes without stirring.
- Stir in yoghurt, coconut milk and peas. Simmer for a further 10 minutes.