MUTTON KORMA RECIPE
675gms / 11/2lb mutton
21/2 cups water
1/2 cup ghee
2 medium onions ( pyaj) (finely chopped)
4 bay leaves
4 flakes of garlic (lasan) (crushed)
1tblsp ginger (adrak) grated
2 cups curd (dahi) / plain yogurt
4 cloves (lavang)
2 pieces cinnamon (tuj/dalchini) stick
4 black peppercorns
2 brown cardamom (elaichi (moti))
1tsp black cumin seeds
1tsp turmeric (haldi) powder
1tsp red chili powder
1tsp garam masala powder
1 green chili (finely chopped)
1/2 tsp saffron (kesar) strands
How to make mutton korma:
- Put the first five spices into a muslin cloth. Cut the mutton into 1-inch cubes and put in a saucepan with the water and muslin bag.
- Cover and simmer gently until the meat is tender and the water is reduced to half, about 11/4 hours.
- In another saucepan melt the ghee and add the onions, bay leaves, garlic and ginger. Fry until onions are golden, add all remaining spice and mix well.
- Cook gently for 5 minutes, stirring continuously. Add the curd and salt to taste and cook for further 5 minutes, stirring.
- Stir in the cooked meat mixture, juices and discard the muslin bag.
- Simmer over a low heat for 15 minutes then pour into a heated serving dish.
- Scatter the chopped chili over it. Steep the saffron in 1 tbsp. hot water and sprinkle over the dish before serving.