1/2 tsp each coriander powder (dhania)
1 tomato (tamatar) cut into cubes
2 tblsp water of soaked tamarind (imli)
8-10 small onions (pyaz)
1/2 tsp mustard seeds (raai)
1/2 tsp cumin (jeera)
1 medium capsicum (shimla mirch) cut into cubes
1 tblsp oil (tel)
1/4 tsp turmeric powder (haldi)
1/2 tsp garam masala
salt (namk) to taste
1/2 tsp chilli powder
pinch of asafoetida (hing)
- Take off the dry skins of onions.
- Trim top and bottom by keeping the node intact.
- On tail side make 2 vertical slits at 90 degree, till almost to the bottom.
- Do not break onion.
- Mix all dry masalas and stuff into the slits.
- Heat up a pot with the oil, mix in the cummin and mustard seeds, let them splutter.
- Mix in the tomatoes, capsicum and tamarind water.
- Wait for a minute.
- Mix in the onions and if required more of the masalas.
- Mix in 1/2 cup water and stir fry covered on low.