1 tblsp lemon juice
1 tsp black mustard seeds (raai)
11/2″ piece ginger (adrak)
1/2 tblsp whole cumin seed (jeera)
2 minced green chilies
4 tblsp ghee
3 tblsp fresh coriander, chopped
¼ cup shredded unsweetened coconut (narial)
1 tsp turmeric (haldi)
1 tblsp coriander
1 tsp salt (namak)
6 medium potatoes (aloo), boil (tel)ed & cubed
1/2 tsp garam masala
pinch of asafetida (hing)
1small eggplant cut in 1″ cubes
- Combine ginger, green chilies & coconut in blender with 1/3 cup of water till smooth.
- Mix in garam masala & pulse for a few seconds.
- Set aside.
- Heat up ghee.
- Whe hot, mix in mustard & cumin seeds & fry for a few seconds.
- Stir in the asafetida & almost immediately put in the potatoes.
- Stir fry for 5 minutes then pour out in the mixture from the blender.
- Mix in the turmeric, coriander, eggplant, salt & half the fresh coriander.
- Mix very gently so as not to break the vegetables.
- Lower heat up & fry very gently until the liquid has evaporated.
- Mix in lemon juice & remaining coriander greens & serve.