1 tblsp chopped coriander leaves
6 – 8 curry leaves
1 cup rice, washed and drained
2 tblsp ghee or butter
1 tomato (tamatar) , chopped
1/2 tsp turmeric
1 1/2 tblsp tamarind (imli) juice
salt (namak) to taste
2 cup toor dal
1 small piece jaggery
1 onion (pyaj) , chopped
1 tblsp oil
1 1/2 cup chopped, mixed vegetables (sabji) (beans, carrots, bell pepper, ridge gourd, turnip, peas)
1/2 cup grated copra (dry coconut)
1 tblsp bengal gram
1 tblsp poppy seeds (khuskhus)
1 tblsp black gram
1 tblsp coriander seeds
1 cardamom pod
1 small piece jaikai
1 tsp ghee
8-10 dried red chillies
1 cinnamon (tuj/dalchini) (dalchini) stick, broken
1 tsp mustard seeds
1 tsp oil
- To Prepare Masala:
- Heat up ghee in a pan, mix in all the masala ingredients (except dry coconut) and roast until lightly browned.
- Take off from the heat up and mix with dry coconut.
- Grind to a smooth paste with water and set aside.
- Wash dal and put it in a heavy based sauce pot with water, 1 tblsp oil and turmeric and cook.
- After the dal are cooked mix in onions, vegetables and allow it to cook.
- After the vegetables are half cooked mix in rice.
- Keep on stirring, mix in water if required.
- After the rice is almost cooked mix in the ground paste, tomato, tamarind juice, salt, jaggery, curry leaves.
- Let all the ingredients mix well while you keep stirring.
- Mix in ghee and simmer (boil slowly at low temperature) until the mixture blends.
- Take off from the heat.
- Heat up oil in a pan, mix in mustard seeds, allow to splutter and pour out it over the rice mixture and mix well.
- Decorate with coriander leaves.
- Serve hot with raita.