Thick curd 1 tbsp
Green chillies 1 tbsp
Coriander 1 tbsp
Salt and chilli powder 1 tsp each
Garam masala 1 tsp
Turmeric powder 1 tsp
Oil 3 tbsp
Garlic and ginger 1 tsp each
Tomato juice 1 cup
Cashewnuts, poppy seeds and dry coconut 1 tbsp each
Basmati rice 2 cups
Salt 1 tsp
Warm milk 1/3 cup
Saffron 1 tsp
Vegetables (carrots, potatoes, French beans and peas) 3/4 kg
- Dice the vegetables.
- Chop green chillies and coriander.
- Crush ginger and garlic.
- Grate the onions.
- Powder the cashewnuts, poppy seeds and dry coconut.
- Mix all the ingredients and marinate for 15 minutes. In a non-stick pan, fry ginger and garlic to a brown colour.
- Add in the dry fruit powders and fry for 2 minutes. Mix in tomato juice and fry till the oil separates.
- Transfer into a deep pan. Add the vegetables and curd mixture. Cover and cook over low heat till the vegetables are tender.
- Wash and soak the rice for 15 minutes. Cook with salt in plenty of water till 3/4th is cooked.
- Drain the water and cool the rice. Mix milk and saffron. In a pan, arrange the layers of rice and 2 of the vegetables.
- The bottom, top and centre layers should be of rice with vegetables between them. Sprinkle saffron milk on top.
- Add small chunks of ghee on top of the rice. Place the lid and bind with wet dough, thus sealing the pan and the lid.
- Place the pan on a griddle and cook over low heat for 45 minutes or bake at 180 degrees C for 25-30 minutes.
- Serve with curd and fresh salads.