2 cups basmati rice (chawal)
1/4 tsp saffron (kesar)
4-5 green cardamom (chhoti elaichi)s
2 nos. bay leaf (tej patta)s
5-6 clove (lavang) (laung)s
2 tsp oil (tel)
3 tsp salt (namak)
1 tblsp lemon juice
8-10 cups water
To color the rice (chawal) orange (santra):
2 tsp desi ghee
a pinch of dry orange (santra) color
2 small carrot (gajar)s-cut into small pieces
15-20 nos. chopped french beans (flas beans)
1/4 part cauliflower (phool gobi)-cut into small pieces
1 1/4 cup curd (dahi)
1 tblsp chopped mint (pudina)
1 tblsp chopped coriander
1/2 tsp salt (namak)
4-5 tblsp melted ghee
1 moti elaichi
1/2 tsp shab jeera
1 bay leaf (tej patta)
3-4 blades mace (javitri) (javitri)
1 sliced Onion (Pyaj)
3 tblsp ginger (adrak)-garlic (lasan) paste
1 tsp red chilli (lal mirch) powder
8-10 sliced almond (badam)s
1 1/2 tsp salt (namak)
1 tsp kishmish
How to make Hyderabadi Biryani:
- Wash the rice several times and strain. Do not soak the rice and keep aside in a strainer. Dissolve the saffron in 1 tblsp water.
- Boil 8-10 cups of water with green cardamom, cloves, bay leaf, oil, salt and lemon juice. Add saffron for color.
- Add rice when the water boils. Boil till almost done, so that the rice is a little chewy and not fully soft. Then remove from fire. Drain through a big strainer.
- Run a fork gently to let out steam. Spread in a large tray. Remove whole spices from the rice and discard.
- Heat 2 tsp of desi ghee or oil to color some rice orange. Ad 1/2 cup cooked yellow rice. Mix gently to color rice. Remove from fire. Mix this orange rice with the yellow rice.
- For the vegetables:
- Heat the ghee and then add all the whole spices in it. Cook this for 2 minutes.
- Now add the onions and cook till rich brown. Then reduce the heat and add the ginger-garlic paste and mix.
- Add the red chilli powder and mix well. Then add the almonds, salt and kishmish and mix well.
- Now add the vegetables and cook for 3-4 minutes. Then reduce the heat and add half the curd leaving some to put on the rice.
- Then cover and cook till the vegetables are done and make sure that at least 1/2 cup gravy should remain.
- For assembling the gravy, take a handi and spread half the vegetables with the gravy at bottom and put half of the rice.
- Then spoon the curd mix on the top and repeat the vegetable layer. Spread the rice and spoon the curd and then cover it with foil.
- Now keep this handi in an oven at 150 degree C for about 15 minutes.
- Hyderabadi biryani is ready. Serve hot.