1/2 bunch coriander leaves
1 cup green moong dal
salt (namak) to taste
oil (tel) as requried
1 piece ginger
2 onion (pyaj) large
1 cup rice
5-6 green chilies
6 cloves (lavang) garlic
1 tsp red chili powder
1 tsp cumin seeds
2″ piece coconut
2 potatoes small
ghee as requried
1 tsp turmeric (haldi) powder
1 tsp garam masala
- Wash and soak the dal and rice, cut onion (pyaj) and green chilies finely.
- Grind the coriander leaves, ginger (adrak) and garlic.
- Take off the potatoes and cut into small cubes.
- Grind the coconut (narial) piece to a fine paste.
- Fry onions in a combination of 1 tblsp ghee-1 tblsp oil.
- When the onions are light brown mix in the minced garlic, ginger (adrak) and green chilies.
- Then mix in the garam masala everything with the ground coconut.
- Fry for a while, put in the rice (chawal) and dal and fry both till crisp.
- If the water dries up add more warm water.
- Mix in potato (aloo) cubes and salt.
- When the water starts bubbling, lower the heat up and simmer (boil slowly at low temperature) till rice (chawal) and dal are cooked.
- Sprinkle coriander leaves (dhania patta) on top before serving.