1/4 cup milk
1/2 cup grated cheese
1″ piece ginger (adrak)
juice of 1 lemon (nimbu)
1 cup cabbage (patta gobhi) finely chopped
1 1/2 cup basmati rice (chawal)
1 bunch spinach (palak) leaves washed, drained
salt (namak) to taste
1/2 tsp cinnamon (dalchini) – clove (laung) powder
1 tbsp oil
5 green chillies
1 onion (pyaj) slice into thin long strips
- Keep plenty of water to boil.
- When hot mix in salt, 8-10 drops lemon juice and rice.
- Stir fry till almost done.
- Remove in colander.
- Cool by spreading on a thali or plate.
- Keep aside.
- Put spinach, green chillies and ginger in a blender.
- Do not mix in water.
- The sustained water is enough for blending.
- Warm grease in kadai (pan), mix in the spice powder and onions.
- Fry till they are light brown.
- Mix in cabbage, lemon juice, salt and spiach paste.
- Fry for 5 minutes.
- Mix in the above fried masala to rice leaving behind 1 tbsp mixture.
- Mix in half cheese.
- Delicately mix in the masala with rice till evenly mixed.
- Preferably with finger so grain does not break.
- Transfer to a casserole, spread the leftover paste on the rice.
- Sprinkle the remaining cheese and the milk.
- Bake for 15 minutes, covered with foil or cling film depending on the oven.
- Serve hot.