3 cup rice (chawal) cooked with 1 tblsp of butter or oil
1/2 cup thick tamarind (imli) extract
1/2 cup oil (tel)
1/4 tsp asafetida (hing)
1 tsp turmeric (haldi) powder
2 tsp red chilli (lal mirch) powder
salt (namak) to taste
2 tsp grated ginger (adrak)
6-8 green chillies slit in two
3-4 dry red chillies
few curry leaves (kari patta)
3 tblsp channa dal
5 tblsp cashew nuts broken
- Heat the 1/2 Cup oil in a pan.
- When hot add the channa dal, dry red chillies, curry leaves, green chillies, asafetida powder.
- Fry until the dal is golden brown, add the salt, turmeric powder, chilly powder, grated ginger, broken cashewnuts and fry for a few minutes on low flame.
- Boil for 15 – 20 minutes. till the quantity reduces to 1/2 and thick.
- Put the cooked rice in a dish, add required quantity of the tamarind mixture to the rice and stir well.
- Keep covered until ready to serve.