Bread slices (a day old) 8
For the filling:
Corn kernels 4 tbsp
Plain flour 2 tbsp
Milk 1 cup
Cheese 1/4 cup
Butter 2 tbsp
Salt to taste
Oil for deep frying
How to make Mexican Bread Rolls:
- Boil the corn.
- Chop the capsicum.
- Grate the cheese.
- For the filling:
- Heat the butter in a saucepan.
- Add the flour and stir continuously till you get the smell of cooked flour, taking care to see that the flour does not discolour.
- Add the milk and whisk well to get a smooth, thick sauce.
- Add the corn, capsicum, cheese and salt and mix well. Keep aside.
- Remove the crusts of the bread slices.
- Dip each slice in water and squeeze out the water by pressing each slice between the palms of your hands.
- Put a spoonful of the filling on one slice.
- Roll it into a cylindrical shape and seal the sides. Keep aside.
- Repeat with the remaining bread slices and filling.
- Deep-fry the bread rolls till golden brown. Drain on absorbent paper.
- Serve hot.
- The filling should be very thick and not runny for this recipe.